- Morning work, unpack, routines, initial welcome into the classroom
- Morning meeting- giving a structured script of how to formally greet someone, encouraging eye contact
- Writing Workshop- Oral story telling, listening to retelling of their written stories
- Reading Workshop- Discussing and retelling stories
- Snack- Scaffolding how they chat with their peers and with us
- Math- coaching how they play math games, faciliate turn-taking, and encouraging them to explain their thinking using full sentences
- Science/Social Studies- encouraging full sentences, retelling of events and facts, teaching vocabulary
- Free play/recess- encouraging peer conversation, teaching and encouraging them to practice using vocabulary, prompting positive social interactions.
Monday, November 15, 2010
Places to encourage oral language development
On the way to work today I found myself thinking about the Chatterbox Project and all the different places embedded in the day where we can work with our children to improve/enhance/practice their oral language.